Retail Payments are a unique disbursement service offered through Procurement and Payment Services. This service allows units to send Cornell funds overseas—to an individual or registered company—for pick up at Western Union® Agent locations.
The Western Union Retail Payments service may be used by units when:
- Payments are less than $1,500 USD
- Goods and/or services cannot be paid for by means other than cash payment or wire transfer
- Funds are required in countries where mail delivery is unreliable and/or banking restrictions pose problems
- There is no better and/or equally efficient and safe way to transfer funds internationally
To pay international independent contractors/consultants:
- Follow the process for International Consulting Agreements outlined at https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/procurement/tools-forms/forms/contracts. This process can take two of more weeks, so please plan well in advance.
- Once the engagement has been approved and the negotiated agreement has been signed by the international independent contractor/consultant, submit an ‘I Want Doc’ for the goods and/or service needed. Be sure to mention in the notes that a request for a Retail Payment is being made and to attach any supporting documents that you have (pro forma invoice, etc.).
To issue an advance to a graduate student who needs funds to work overseas:
When graduate students are going to remote areas to conduct research and they need to cash to make payments on the ground (this would likely be in countries where ATMs aren’t reliable or available and credit cards aren’t accepted), please follow the BSC instructions below.
BSCs in colleges and units
- Determine the type of transaction required (Cash Advance, Disbursement Voucher, Purchase Order)
- Ensure the international individual or registered entity receiving funds have been set up by Procurement as a vendor per section 200 and 400 of the Procurement Buying Manual
- Be sure to include the name of the individual receiving payment as it appears on a nationally recognized form of ID (e.g., driver’s license, passport, national ID card, etc.)
- Submit a copy of the ID being used by the individual picking up the funds. This is needed for verification of the information, as Western Union will not allow anyone to pick up funds if the name on the wire does not match the name on the ID exactly.
- Provide a valid email address for the individual picking up funds. This will be necessary to provide reference information once the payment has been funded.
- Provide the currency type to be issued to the payor upon receipt.
- Ensure all necessary international tax documents necessary for the transaction process have been completed
- Submit all other relevant documents necessary to the transaction process to Procurement Services
- When creating the DV, complete the information in the Foreign Draft tab
- Select how the payment amount is stated in the eDoc
- In the "Currency Type" field, provide the currency the funds are to be paid in followed by - WESTERN UNION (e.g., "GBP - WESTERN UNION"))
- Add the following comment to the notes - ***PAYMENT TO BE MADE VIA RETAIL WESTERN UNION***